Background Of child protection and violence prevention Programmer
Ekama Development Foundation deals with protection, promotion of the rights of children and prevention of violence against children. The department, works close with children in and out of school. The department works with children between the ages of 9 – 17 years. Since 2013, the department has initiated different programs to enhance rights of children, participation and advocacy towards oppressing behaviors, attitudes and cultural practices.
We thrive on increasing children’s capacity to prevent and respond to violence against children (VAC) through awareness raising, training and workshops.
- To increase children’s awareness on their rights (legal and constitutional)
- To improve children’s knowledge on the types and extent of violence against children and its consequences
- To build capacity with information on available service providers for response to violence against children
- To develop children’s skills in and out of schools to improved health, confidence and self-realization
- To promote children participation in allied platforms as a mechanism for promoting their rights.
The department collaborates with other departments and networks within and outside the organization in working on child affairs and welfare of children in Tanzania.
Our Programs/what we do
We deliver knowledge, skills through child-related interventions at the following areas;
School Related Programs
- This department has developed effective child safeguarding policy for internal staff members, education institution, religious institutions and other key actors. The policy is child right centered observing the best interests of a child which is mainstreamed into all EDF programs.
- The department has established children clubs (Violence Prevention Clubs) within schools that supports children to meet, share and air their opinions, challenges especially on violence occurring to children while at school. These school clubs plays a major role as platforms for children to voice, visualize and report cases on violence against children occurring at household and community level.
- Training for teachers. The department builds skills and knowledge with teachers (heads of school and the club supervisors) in prevention of violence against children in order to influence changes of practices that affects children’s physical and mental ability. The department also supports facilitation of internal learning capacities for other staff within school institutions
- Strengthening participation of children through international and national events, forums, in promoting child rights